Kindle Paperwhite (David McNew/Getty Images)
- Filed Under
“What do you love most about military life that you wouldn't get to experience on the outside?”
We're asking readers to submit written compositions of 250 words or less on that theme by April 14 to compete to win one of three Kindle Paperwhites.
We'll select our favorite entries to publish as part of a print and online feature in honor of May as Military Appreciation Month.
To enter, email your composition and the completed entry form below to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please attach a digital photo of the entrant. A photo is not a requirement to win, but we will be following up with all entrants who don't submit one in an effort to gather as many as possible. We prefer snapshots to portraits taken by professional photographers because of copyright issues.
Military Times “Why I Love the Military” Entry Form
Name of entrant:
Address (city, state, ZIP):
Daytime telephone number:
Military affiliation, including family relationships to current or former service members:
Service member's military status: Current/former/retired
Service member's current or last rank and service branch:
Read and agree to official rules: Yes or No
Indicate which category you're entering: Funniest/Truest/Most Original
Parent or Legal Guardian: I agree to my child's submission of an entry in this Contest. Yes or No
Parent or Legal Guardian's Name:
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the Military Times “Why I Love the Military” Contest (the “Contest”) is open to all U.S. active-duty, National Guard, and Reserve military personnel, U.S. military veterans and military retirees, and their authorized dependents ages 8 years or older at the time of entry. A parent or legal guardian must consent to any entry being submitted by a child under the age of 13. Employees and contractors of Gannett Government Media Corporation (“Sponsor”), Gannett Co., Inc., and each of their respective affiliated companies, and advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees or contractors, are not eligible to enter or to win.
3. How To Enter. The Contest will begin at 10 a.m. (E.T.) Monday, April 1, 2013, and end at 5:00 p.m. (E.T.) Monday, April 29, 2013 (the “Contest Period”). The Contest Entry Period will begin at 10 a.m. (E.T.) Monday April 1, 2013 and will end at 11:59 p.m. Sunday April 14, 2013.
Internet and Email Entry Only. During The Contest Entry Period enter by going to www.militarytimes.com/links/whyilovethemilitary, copying the text titled “Entry Form,” and pasting it into an email message box., In the email complete each field, including your name, address (city, state, ZIP), age, daytime telephone number, and military affiliation (including family relationships to current or former service members). Email your completed Entry Form along with an original composition in one of three categories — “Funniest,” “Truest,” or “Most Original” — that answers the question below to email@example.com. All entries must be received by Sponsor by 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Question: What do you love most about military life that you wouldn't get to experience on the outside?
Limit one (1) entry per person. All essays must be the sole, original work of the entrant, must be typewritten or legibly printed in English, and must be limited to 250 words or less. Judges may disqualify previously published essays or those that have won previous awards or competitions. Your computer must accept cookies, or any successor or similar technology, which may be used for the purpose of entry tracking. Ad blocking software on your computer needs to be disabled so that it doesn't interfere with processing your entry. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address. By entering, you agree to the terms of these Official Rules and to receive emails from Sponsor or those directed by Sponsor. You can opt-out of the receipt of such emails by following the directions on the Contest website or in any email received from Sponsor.
Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected, or illegible entries or entries that exceed the 250-word limit. All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Contestants acknowledge and agree that Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, publish, promote, create a sound recording of, broadcast, or otherwise display or use entries in any way it sees fit without limitation or compensation to entrants. Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is alleged to infringe on any third-party's intellectual property rights, or that Sponsor deems obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate for viewing by a general audience.
4. Winner Selection. A panel of qualified judges selected by Sponsor will judge all eligible entries in the three (3) separate categories — funniest, truest and most original, as selected by the entrant — according to the following criteria: 50% creativity and originality of essay, 25% content of essay/appropriateness for theme, and 25% clarity of writing. The ratings scale for each criterion will range from one (1) to ten (10), with ten (10) being the best score. Judging will conclude within a two (2) weeks after the end of the Contest Period. The one (1) contestant with the highest cumulative scores in each of the 3 categories will be designated the Grand Prize Winner in one of those categories. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged on the same criteria listed above. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
5. Prizes and Odds. Grand Prizes: Three (3) Grand Prize Winners will each receive a Kindle Paperwhite ereader (ARV: $119). (Total ARV $357.) Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Only one prize per family.
6. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Winners will be notified on or about April 29, 2013, at the email address provided on winner's entry form. Return of email prize notification as undeliverable or failure of winner to respond to notification may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. Winners may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are nonassignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed by winner. Prizes are not redeemable for cash. Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Winners may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility/liability certifying that the entrant's submission is entrant's original work, that entrant owns right to the work, that the submission has not previously won an award or prize in a contest and has not previously been published, and that entrant has complied with the Official Rules of the Contest, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned as directed by Sponsor. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner's disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a substitute winner. Prizes won by minors will be awarded to parent or legal guardian who must sign any affidavit or release required by Sponsor. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes winner's consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation the Internet, or further compensation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
7. Participation. By participating, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries, or for failure to receive entries or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor. In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the ISP account from which they were sent. For these purposes, an ISP account holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such ISP account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning ISP addresses for the domain associated with such ISP account. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted or the owner of an ISP account shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries or votes by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
8. Copyright. By entering the Contest, each contestant grants to Sponsor an exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable right and license to publish, print, edit or otherwise use the contestant's submitted entry, in whole or in part, for any purpose and in any manner or media (including, without limitation, the Internet) throughout the world in perpetuity, and to license others to do so, all without limitation or further compensation. Each contestant further agrees that if his/her entry is selected by Sponsor as the winning entry, he/she will sign any additional license or release that Sponsor may require, and will not publicly perform or display his or her submission without the express permission of Sponsor.
9. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
10. Sponsor. The Military Times “Why I Love the Military” Contest is sponsored by Gannett Government Media Corporation. The decisions of Sponsor and the Contest judges regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For a list of winners (available after May 6, 2013) or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to “Winners List/Official Rules” (as applicable), Military “Why I Love the Military” Contest, c/o Amanda Miller, Military Times, 6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact Amanda Miller at 703-750-8952 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.