You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Tricare Help: If I remarry my ex, can I get Tricare again?

Jul. 18, 2013 - 06:20PM   |  
  • Filed Under

Q. I’ve recently reconciled with my ex-husband, who is active-duty military. If we got remarried, would I be eligible for Tricare again?

A. If you marry an active-duty service member, you become eligible for Tricare, regardless of how many times you marry him.

However, for a spouse to use Tricare benefits, the service member/sponsor must ensure the spouse has a military ID card and is properly registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. This can be done at any installation ID Card/DEERS office or by calling the main DEERS support office toll free at 800-538-9552.

Q. Can I contribute to a health savings account when I am covered by Tricare Standard?

A. Technically, yes. But active-duty and retired military personnel who are covered under Tricare don’t meet the minimum annual deductible requirements to make an HSA useful. Tricare does not qualify as a “high deductible health plan” for HSA purposes. You could enroll in an HSA, but the IRS would not allow you to deduct your contributions from your taxes — and in fact would tax you on whatever interest the HSA earns, plus hit you with a penalty. In short, HSAs and Tricare do not mix.

Q. I am a retired Navy captain who is getting married this fall. My fiancee has a 22-year-old son and a 19-year-old daughter, both in college. How can I make sure her children will be covered under my Tricare Standard once we are married?

A. As of the day you tie the knot, your new wife and her children will be eligible for Tricare.

The daughter is eligible for ordinary Tricare for two more years, until she turns 21. If she’s a full-time college student at that time, she’s eligible until age 23. The son is eligible for another year, as long as he remains a full-time college student.

Once they reach age 23, they are no longer eligible for ordinary Tricare. Their only option at that point is Tricare Young Adult, which requires payment of monthly premiums. That coverage is available until age 26, as long as your stepchildren remain unmarried and dependent on you for more than half of their support.

Once your stepchildren are properly registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System and have valid uniformed services dependent ID cards, they are authorized to begin using Tricare Standard — no further enrollment steps or actions are necessary.

Write to Tricare Help, Times News Service, 6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159; or In email, include the word “Tricare” in the subject line and do not attach files. Get Tricare advice any time at

Answers by RallyPoint

Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.

More In OFFduty

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

VA Home Loan

Search By:

Product Options:
Zip Code:

From Our Blogs


The latest from PT365

News for your in-box

Sign up now for free Military Times E-Reports. Choose from Money and Education. Subscribers: log in for premium e-newsletters.

This Week's Army Times

This Week's Army Times

CrossFit vs. unit PT
Troops will do the training plans in a $2.5 million study

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

MilitaryTimes Green Trusted Classifieds Looking to buy, sell and connect on Military Times?
Browse expanded listings across hundreds of military installations.
Faces of valorHonoring those who fought and died in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
hall of valorThe Hall of Valor is a searchable database of valor award citations collected by Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran and Military Times contributing editor, and by Military Times staff.

All you need to know about your military benefits.

Benefits handbook

Guard & Reserve All you need to know about the Guard & Reserve.

guard and reserve handbook