navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square googleplus history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share share2 sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

2016 Pay Book: Housing and Food

January 18, 2016 (Photo Credit: File)
 

Basic Allowance for Housing rates in 2016 continue to undergo a subtle but significant change; they are set to cover only about 98 percent of service member's average off-base housing costs, not the 100 percent that has been the case for years. This is the second year of a five-year plan that eventually will reduce the allowance to only 95 percent of a member’s off-base housing costs, with the member covering the other 5 percent out of pocket. This is part of a broader Defense Department plan to reduce personnel budget costs.
 
Basic Allowance for Subsistence – the military's monthly food allowance – changes independently of any DoD policy decisions, because it is based solely on movement in the Agriculture Department's food cost index.

2016 BAH Rates
View the 2016 BAH Rates With Dependents Chart
View the 2016 BAH Rates Without Dependents Chart

2016 BAH RC/T and BAH Differential
Reservists mobilized for 30 days or less — for two-week annual training, for example — get pro-rated Basic Allowance for Housing Reserve Component/Transit (BAH RC/T) at 1/30th of the monthly rate for each day of active duty. Partial BAH is paid to service members without dependents who live in government quarters. BAH Differential is paid to service members living in government quarters who pay child support; it is not paid if the amount of the child support is less than the BAH Differential rate for the member’s paygrade. Monthly rates for 2016:
View the 2016 BAH RC/T and BAH Differential Chart

2016 Basic Allowance for Subsistence
The Basic Allowance for Subsistence is linked to, and changes with, the Agriculture Department’s food cost index. Monthly BAS rates for 2016 increased very slightly as of Jan. 1, by 25 cents for officers and 37 cents for enlisted members: Officers (including commissioned officers, warrant officers and aviation cadets): $253.63 per month Enlisted (almost everyone who has completed basic training): $368.29
View the 2016 Basic Allowance for Subsistence Chart

Next Article