Gunny Hartman has outlasted Gunny Highway. Gomer Pyle, we hardly knew ye. And forget what any sequel title might tell you — Jack Reacher can go back to where he came from.
The first round of Battle Bracket: Clash of Characters has claimed its victims, but 32 of your favorites are moving on as we select the greatest fictional military movie or television character ever. Head to militarytimes.com/battle-bracket to vote on all 16 Round 2 battles now, and spread the word for your favorites with the hashtag #BattleBracket.
A look at five key showdowns that could come down to the wire.
1. Capt. John Miller (Tom Hanks, "Saving Private Ryan") vs. Lt. Dan Taylor (Gary Sinise, "Forrest Gump"). It's a battle of "Gump" co-stars, both of whom earned landslide wins in the first round with more than 90 percent of the vote.
Both men also starred in "Apollo 13," with Hanks as Navy Capt. Jim Lovell and Sinise as Ken Mattingly, who would go on to become a rear admiral. The film also starred Kevin Bacon, just to get that game out of the way.
2. Capt. James T. Kirk (William Shatner, Star Trek series) vs. Capt. B.F. "Hawkeye" Pierce (Alan Alda, "MASH"). Television titans collide, with the winner reaching the round of 16. Aside from sharing TV fame, both characters were played by different actors on film than on the small screen — Chris Pine has taken over for Shatner in recent years, while Elliott Gould played Hawkeye in the 1970 "MASH" movie that predated the TV show.
3. Lt. Cmdr. Quinton McHale (Ernest Borgnine, "McHale's Navy") vs. Col. Robert Hogan (Bob Crane, "Hogan's Heroes"). Survivors of a pair of classic TV showdowns, as McHale topped Sgt. Bilko in the first round and Hogan outlasted Gomer Pyle. Before your time? Both shows remain readily available, with "McHale's Navy" on Hulu and "Hogan's Heroes" airing regularly on MeTV. Hogan's even in that network's bracket challenge, facing off with Agent Maxwell Smart, who was played by Marine Corps veteran Don Adams.
4. Sgt. Oddball (Donald Sutherland, "Kelly's Heroes") vs. Sgt. John Stryker (John Wayne, "Sands of Iwo Jima"). It's the traditional March Madness styles clash, with Sutherland's spaced-out Oddball taking on an icon in a retelling of one of World War II's iconic battles.
5. Capt. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans, Avengers series) vs. Benjamin Martin (Mel Gibson, "The Patriot"). Both characters took out high-profile first-round opposition, with Rogers downing "Roadblock" (Dwayne Johnson, "G.I. Joe: Retaliation") and Martin spiking Jack Reacher.