navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square googleplus history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share share2 sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

New York speeds processing of licensing for military spouses

March 10, 2017 (Photo Credit: Hans Pennink/AP)
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York is making it easier for some military spouses to go to work after moving to the state.

State Education Commissioner MaryEllen Elia said Thursday the state is offering expedited licensing for professionals who hold an out-of-state professional license in certain fields.

Military spouses who move because a husband or wife is transferred also will get a 50 percent break on application fees.

The expedited licensing is available for spouses who hold out-of-state professional licenses that have requirements similar to those in New York state. Those include certain medical professions.

For the covered professions and a list of requirements, see the New York state Office of the Professions web site .

new york legislature 2
Exterior view of the state Capitol in the morning fog on the opening day of the legislative session on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017, in Albany, N.Y.
Photo Credit: Hans Pennink/AP

Next Article