Hiring indicates whether departments told us they are hiring now; they plan to hire within the next 12 months; they are unsure if they'll hire within 12 months; or they have no plans to hire.
Veteran hiring preference shows whether a department gives veterans a leg up in the hiring process. Those with numbers in this column offer extra exam points. For example, a department that awards veterans 10 extra points on a 100-point exam would be designated as 10/100. Agencies with checkmarks either have a veteran preference not related to exam points or did not provide enough information about their exam points for us to detail them.
Union shows whether a department is unionized, and if so, with what union or unions.
- AHPSG: Airway Heights Public Safety Guild
- CFPBA: Coastal Florida Police Benevolent Association
- DCPBA: Dade County Police Benevolent Association
- DPPA: Denver Police Protective Association
- FOP: Fraternal Order of Police
- FWOG: Fish and Wildlife Officers Guild
- HCDO: Harris County Deputy’s Organization
- OCSCO: Oakland County Sheriff's Command Officers
- OCSD: Oakland County Sheriff's Deputies
- PCDSA: Pima County Deputy Sheriff's Association
- SDPOA: San Diego Police Officers' Association
- TPOA: Tucson Police Officers Association
Departmental training about military rates the frequency and extent of training that agency employees receive about military culture, career paths and other issues, as well as how widespread such training is within the agency.
Military spouse policies rates the efforts a department makes to recruit and accommodate employees who are military spouses.
ESGR award shows the highest award the agency has received from the Defense Department's Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve national committee. From most to least selective, those awards are: Freedom, Extraordinary Employer Support, Pro Patria, Above and Beyond, Seven Seals and Patriot.