Flashpoints

US military no longer announcing deaths, damage in Somalia airstrikes

JOHANNESBURG — The U.S. military says it has carried out two new airstrikes in Somalia against the al-Shabab extremist group but will no longer give details on fighters killed or damage done.

A spokesman for the U.S. Africa Command says those details are now up to Somalia’s government to share.

On Saturday the U.S. announced its deadliest airstrike in Somalia in months, killing 52 of the al-Qaida-linked extremists after a "large group" mounted an attack on Somali forces.

In this image taken from security camera footage Jan. 15, an armed militant walks in the compound of a hotel, in Nairobi, Kenya. Extremists launched an attack on a luxury hotel in Kenya's capital, sending people fleeing in panic as explosions and heavy gunfire reverberate through the neighborhood. Al-Shabab -- the Somalia-based extremist group -- claimed responsibility. (security camera footage via AP)
US airstrike in Somalia kills 52 al-Shabab extremists

The U.S. military on Saturday said it had carried out its deadliest airstrike in Somalia in months, killing 52 al-Shabab extremists after a “large group” mounted an attack on Somali forces.

The new U.S. statement says the latest airstrikes occurred on Wednesday near Jilib in Middle Juba region, where Saturday's strike occurred.

The United States has dramatically stepped up airstrikes against al-Shabab in Somalia since President Donald Trump took office, carrying out at least 47 last year to diminish the Islamic extremist group’s “safe havens.”

Recommended for you
Around The Web
Comments