This story was originally published on Dec. 11, 2015, at 2:03 p.m. Eastern time., but is being updated.
All American military and civilian personnel are accounted for after Friday's deadly attack on the Spanish embassy in Afghanistan, according to spokespeople at the Defense and State Departments.
A reported explosion near the embassy earlier in the day prompted a response by the Afghan security forces but resulted in no known coalition casualties, Operation Resolute Support Spokesman Army Col. Michael Lawhorn told Military Times via email. However, multiple news outlets and journalists on social media reported subsequent gunfire, and BBC News reported that Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy confirmed that a Spanish police officer was killed in the attack.
The U.S. embassy wasn't the target of the attack, a State Department spokesperson told Military Times. However, they said that the overall response to the attack is ongoing, so more details cannot be confirmed yet.
The U.S. government has directed American diplomatic staff to steer clear of the area indefinitely.
"Embassy personnel have been advised to avoid Wazir Ahkbarkan near the Spanish Embassy until further notice," an emergency message to U.S. citizens issued and tweeted by the U.S. Embassy in Kabul reads.
As this situation continues to unfold, Military Times is gathering real-time accounts of the situation, as told by reporters on the ground who are live-tweeting from Kabul.
[Editor's Note: While we have vetted the identities of the journalists, the following tweets have not been independently verified, and all images and footage included in them remain the property of their respective owners.]