(This article was originally published on Dec. 16, 2015.)
Whether you grew up seeing Han Solo on the silver screen (pre-Harrison Ford's silvering hair) or are just discovering all-things Jedi via the work of J.J. Abrams and Disney, one thing's for sure: Being a "Star Wars" fan in the military community or defense industry isn't easy. There are the inevitable technical and strategy questions. The political implications. The real-world inspirations for the vehicles and plot lines.
And, then, there's just the good, old-fashioned nerdery.
For this reason, Military Times has compiled a list of must-reads for those in the battlefield know to get your tactical and strategic mind (and your inner child) ready for "Stars War: The Force Awakens."
- RAYTHEON PITCHES NEW WEAPONS TO FIX 'STAR WARS' MILITARY FLAWS (Popular Science)
- Watching Realistic War in The Force Awakens and The Hunger Games (The Mary Sue)
- There’s a moral order baked into that ‘Star Wars’ galaxy that’s far, far away (Washington Post)
- 'How do wookiees breed?': the big Star Wars questions answered (The Guardian)
- 5 Reasons 'Star Wars' Spaceships Make Absolutely No Sense (Popular Mechanics)
- Droids and The Force: How the Science in ‘Star Wars’ Is Actually Real (Wall Street Journal blog)
- Army unveils real-life Star Wars lightsaber that slices through padlocks in seconds (Daily Express)
- 'Star Wars': Everything We Know About the Planet Jakku (So Far) (HowStuffWorks)
- REAL TIME STRATEGY 3 – STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (Center for International Maritime Security)
- Star Wars Connection to WWII-Era Military Aviation (Tactical Air Network via We Are the Mighty)
- U.S. Army Transportation Museum claims connections to Star Wars (Daily Press)
- How Star Wars Helped Create President Reagan (io9)
- The new 'Star Wars' movie could well be about a bailout (Marketplace)
- Adam Driver Brings Monologues to the Military: Arts in the Armed Forces (VICE News)
- 'Day One' short: How George Lucas helped a soldier achieve his filmmaking dream (Entertainment Weekly)
- US Marine Creates Amazing Combat Scenes With Star Wars Action Figures (Task & Purpose)
- Here's What the Pentagon's Top Cost Estimator Has to Say About the Death Star (VICE News)
Have a good story that our list missed? Tweet it to Jennifer-Leigh Oprihory on Twitter @jenniferleigho.
Feel ready to face the force firsthand? Watch the official trailer for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" here:
UPDATE 12/18: A much-need h/t goes to The Military Writers Guild's Angry Staff Officer Blog for its own "Star Wars Reading List," a rundown of its best in-house content inspired by the Galactic Empire, which published on Dec. 15 (but which we just caught wind of today). Check it out here.